Riley F. Kennedy
Riley F. Kennedy focuses his practice on assisting clients with legal matters arising in the employment & labor, business, commercial, and health sectors. He is an experienced litigator who has appeared in both State and Federal courtrooms throughout Florida, including during oral argument, trial, and for a variety of other legal hearings.
Litigation: Riley represents individuals and businesses in litigation featuring claims of breach of contract, fraud, negligence, medical malpractice, discrimination and harassment, wrongful termination, and disputes over non-competition or non-solicitation agreements. He has served in a representative capacity in a variety of other matters including those related to, among other things, background checks, credit reporting, and requirements under federal wage and informational laws, including the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Riley has also represented clients in lawsuits featuring unique federal laws such as the Federal Railroad Safety Act (FRSA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA).
Successes: Notably, Riley has also successfully disposed of cases before trial, with prejudice, through motion practice– examples include the successful disposal of cases that featured claims for defamation, violation of Florida’s Whistleblower Act, malicious prosecution, premises liability, and subrogation. In instances of appeal, Riley successfully handled the subsequent appellate briefing and oral argument. Riley’s appellate experience extends to both Florida and Federal appellate courts. He has also litigated before Administrative Law Judges and the Review Commission of a federal agency. Riley obtained a complete defense verdict for a medical provider following a jury trial in federal court, which featured claims brought under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). He has also worked on class action cases and the unique procedural requirements and issues that often arise in such matters.
Counsel on Matters Outside of Litigation Context: In addition to his experience in litigation, Riley represents many businesses, healthcare providers and practices, and individuals concerning a variety of non-litigation matters including those related to legal compliance, considerations related to evolving industry landscapes, licensing questions, etc. Riley also regularly assists companies and individuals with reviewing and drafting pre & post-employment agreements, company policies, and handbooks, and by providing legal advice and guidance on a variety of contractual and compliance considerations, as well as other questions arising from day-to-day operations. Riley provides regular updates to his clients when they may be affected by changes in the law. For example, he worked closely with several clients in developing policies during the global pandemic that complied with the ever-changing state of federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. Riley assists clients with responding to FOIA requests and other governmental requests for information. Riley also meets requests for assistance from clients facing seemingly conflicting laws, by presenting the options available to them based on the applicable circumstances.
Before CTL: Riley joined the firm after serving as a Judicial Extern in federal court for the Honorable Gary R. Jones of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida. He also previously served as a Judicial Intern in state court with the 15th Judicial Circuit Court in and for Palm Beach County, Florida. His medical malpractice, personal injury, benefits, labor & employment, and commercial litigation experience allows him to approach clients’ cases When he is not practicing law, Riley enjoys being outdoors, learning about history, and spending time with family.
Practice & Industry Areas
• Business and Commercial Litigation.
• Labor & Employment Law.
• Health Care/Medical Malpractice.
• Personal Injury.
• Insurance Defense.
- University of Florida, J.D., cum laude, 2016
- Leiden University (The Netherlands), Spring of 2016
- University of Central Florida, B.S., 2013
Bar & Court Admissions
- Florida Bar, 2016
- Florida State and Appellate Courts (All)
- United States District Court
- Northern District of Florida, 2019
- Middle District of Florida, 2017
- Southern District of Florida, 2017
- United States Court of Appeals
- Eleventh Circuit, 2022
- Obtained complete defense verdict for local medical provider after a jury trial in claims brought by a former employee under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Obtained summary judgment for clients in breach of shareholder agreement and malicious prosecution matters. Handled subsequent appellate briefing and oral argument before the Fourth District Court of Appeal, which resulted in a Per Curiam Affirmed opinion in clients’ favor.
- Obtained summary judgment in the client’s favor on a claim made by a former employee alleging a violation of Florida’s Private Whistleblower Act.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of multiple defamation claims against medical professional and legal professional. Handled appeals related to defamation claims made against medical professionals which resulted in appellee prevailing.
- Obtained summary judgment for health and fitness organizations against allegations of negligence.
- Obtained summary judgment for client in action involving a dispute over obligations within the contract and claim for subrogation.
Obtained summary judgment for client in premises liability action.
- University of Florida, J.D., cum laude, 2016